This quick and easy dinner can be a great way to use up various veggies you might have lying around. Serve it over rice and add protein like tofu or tempeh!
A delicious alternative to your typical grilled meats! Portobello burgers are an excellent substitute for a normal cheeseburger and are much healthier and cheaper! Best prepared on a grill, but can also be cooked in a frying pan on the stove.
- 4 Portobello mushroom caps (whole)
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- Pinch salt & pepper
- 4 Whole wheat burger rolls
- 4 oz cheddar cheese (sliced)
- 1 tomato (optional)
- Red onion (optional)
- Lettuce (optional)
- Avocado (optional)
- Burger condiments (optional)
- Wipe mushroom caps clean with a papertowel. In a large plastic ziplock or a large mixing bowl, mix vinegar, oil, garlic, salt & pepper . Add mushrooms and let soak for 15-20 minutes.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Place mushroom caps on grill, smooth side up and grill until browned (5-8 minutes)
- Flip mushrooms over and grill for another 5-8 minutes until tender.
- Just before mushrooms are finished, add cheese slices to the mushrooms and grill until melted.
- Place on a roll (toasted if desired) and top with sliced tomato, red onion, lettuce, avocado and other condiments as desired!
- Try using other cheeses such as blue cheese or goat cheese.
- Grill the mushrooms in the same fashion and use as a topper on pasta.
This is an incredibly quick and easy side dish to make that goes well with any grilled dinner!
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- Trim the firm white ends off the asparagus using scissors or a knife
- Lay on a plate and coat with the oil. Season with salt & pepper
- Heat grill to high heat
- Grill until tender (approx. 3-5 minutes)
This quick to cook egg breakfast is simple to make, requires few ingredients, and will help fuel your day. The avocado is loaded with fiber and the sprouts add a nice crunch! Plus, who doesn’t love eating green foods? Like it spicy? Add hot sauce for some extra flavor!
- 1/2 tsp butter
- 1 egg
- 3 slices of Cheddar Cheese
- 1/4 of an avocado, cubed
- 1 small handful of sprouts
- Melt butter in a frying pan
- Crack egg in frying pan and scramble
- Once firm, lay slices of cheese on top and cook over low heat until cheese is melted
- Serve on a plate or in a bowl and top with avocado and sprouts
For added fiber and to give your day an extra boost, serve with a Berry Smoothie!
A delicious vegetarian breakfast scramble is a great way to start off a weekend day that will be full of outdoor adventure like hiking, paddling, or skiing! Start off with some basic ingredients and then add in different vegetables depending on the season. The recipe below was made in the winter, but a summer version could be created using local fresh veggies from the farmer’s market or your own garden!
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tbsp low-fat milk
- 2 tsp butter
- 1/8 cup red onion (diced)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1/2 red or green pepper (diced)
- 4-5 baby bella mushrooms (diced)
- 1-2 handfulls chopped kale
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese (shredded or thinly sliced)
- 1 medium tomato (diced)
- 1/2 avocado (diced)
- Salt & Pepper
- Wash and chop all of the vegetables & cheese as indicated above.
- Melt 1 tsp of butter in a large frying pan and saute onion and garlic until light brown.
- Add in peppers and mushrooms and saute until soft.
- Add kale and saute until wilted. Meanwhile, crack eggs into a bowl, add milk and whisk with a fork until the yolks are broken.
- Melt remaining tsp of butter in pan and add the eggs. With a spatula or wooden spoon, mix in the eggs with the vegetables and cook until no longer runny.
- Add cheese to the pan, mix and cook for 1 minute more until cheese is melted.
- Serve into bowls or plates and top with fresh tomato and avocado.
- Season to taste with salt & pepper and enjoy!
- Add hot sauce to spice up the scramble!
- Get a serving of whole grains by serving a piece of whole wheat toast on the side.
- Create a Summer Scramble by using fresh spinach or basil, tomato and feta cheese for a refreshing tasting breakfast!