A delicious vegetarian breakfast scramble is a great way to start off a weekend day that will be full of outdoor adventure like hiking, paddling, or skiing! Start off with some basic ingredients and then add in different vegetables depending on the season. The recipe below was made in the winter, but a summer version could be created using local fresh veggies from the farmer’s market or your own garden!
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tbsp low-fat milk
- 2 tsp butter
- 1/8 cup red onion (diced)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1/2 red or green pepper (diced)
- 4-5 baby bella mushrooms (diced)
- 1-2 handfulls chopped kale
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese (shredded or thinly sliced)
- 1 medium tomato (diced)
- 1/2 avocado (diced)
- Salt & Pepper
- Wash and chop all of the vegetables & cheese as indicated above.
- Melt 1 tsp of butter in a large frying pan and saute onion and garlic until light brown.
- Add in peppers and mushrooms and saute until soft.
- Add kale and saute until wilted. Meanwhile, crack eggs into a bowl, add milk and whisk with a fork until the yolks are broken.
- Melt remaining tsp of butter in pan and add the eggs. With a spatula or wooden spoon, mix in the eggs with the vegetables and cook until no longer runny.
- Add cheese to the pan, mix and cook for 1 minute more until cheese is melted.
- Serve into bowls or plates and top with fresh tomato and avocado.
- Season to taste with salt & pepper and enjoy!
- Add hot sauce to spice up the scramble!
- Get a serving of whole grains by serving a piece of whole wheat toast on the side.
- Create a Summer Scramble by using fresh spinach or basil, tomato and feta cheese for a refreshing tasting breakfast!
Want a quick and easy summer dinner recipe to use up some of the vegetable odds and ends that have accumulated in your fridge? Then this recipe is for you! You really can add in any veggies in your fridge and it will still taste delicious! Not a fan of Feta cheese? Try substituting crumbled goat cheese or shredded cheddar cheese!
- 1 box (1 lb) of pasta – I prefer Rotini
- 2-4 cloves of garlic
- 1 tbsp of Olive Oil
- 4-6 oz. of Feta cheese
- 1/2 of a small onion (red or white) or 1/4 of a large onion
- VEGETABLES! I have made this pasta with kale, basil leaves, spinach, summer squash, zucchini, tomatoes, green beans, and much more! Anything you have, you can try adding it in! Just chop them up into small pieces or 1/2″ cubes first!
- Optional spices: red pepper flakes (adds a little heat), oregano, rosemary
- Boil a pot of water and get your pasta cooking
- Heat up the oil in a large frying pan
- Start by sauteing the chopped garlic and onion on low heat
- Once they are soft, add in your bigger, firmer veggies (things like green beans, zucchini, summer squash, and carrots)
- When those veggies are nearly soft, add in your greens – they won’t need to cook long. If you are using kale or other big leaves, shred them into little pieces first.
- Add in any spices, finish the sauteing and mix the veggies in with pasta.
- Add your cheese, and tomato raw if you are using
- Serve and enjoy!
Optional: If you really want meat with this meal, try adding some chicken sausage to the veggies when you are sauteing them!
Summer is a great time of year to take advantage of fresh local veggies. This open faced sandwich is quick and easy to make and tastes delicious! Plus it is full of lots of important ingredients to get you ready for an active day spent outside!
- 1 bagel (you pick the variety, but everything, sesame, plain, or whole wheat all make good choices)
- 1/4 ball of fresh mozzarella cheese
- 8 basil leaves
- 1/4 of a large ripe tomato (or 1/2 of a small tomato)
- Salt and pepper
- Slice the bagel in half and toast
- Meanwhile, thinly slice the mozzarella cheese, wash the tomato and basil, and slice the tomato
- When the bagel is ready, assemble the ingredients on each half
- Lightly add salt and pepper