In class we used tuna and beans as filling for our wraps. Experiment with other options – make a wrap with just veggies or try adding hummus! Wraps are fun because they are super easy and quick to make and they taste delicious when you add your favorite healthy ingredients! Plus, they hold up great in a backpack if you are bringing a lunch on a hike.
This delicious fall snack adds plenty of fiber and protein to your day and will give you lots of energy! Have your kids participate in the preparation by helping to spread on the peanut butter or sprinkle the granola!
- 2 small apples, cored and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch thick rings
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice (optional)
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter or almond butter
- 3 tablespoons granola
Slice the apples across and use a small knife or cookie cutter to remove the core. If you won’t be eating right away, brush the apples slices with lemon juice to keep them from turning brown.
On one half of apple slices spread the peanut butter or almond butter. Sprinkle on the granola and then place a second apple ring on top to form a sandwich!
Summer is a great time of year to take advantage of fresh local veggies. This open faced sandwich is quick and easy to make and tastes delicious! Plus it is full of lots of important ingredients to get you ready for an active day spent outside!
- 1 bagel (you pick the variety, but everything, sesame, plain, or whole wheat all make good choices)
- 1/4 ball of fresh mozzarella cheese
- 8 basil leaves
- 1/4 of a large ripe tomato (or 1/2 of a small tomato)
- Salt and pepper
- Slice the bagel in half and toast
- Meanwhile, thinly slice the mozzarella cheese, wash the tomato and basil, and slice the tomato
- When the bagel is ready, assemble the ingredients on each half
- Lightly add salt and pepper