Frittatas are a great weeknight meal because they’re quick to make and you can add in any vegetables you might have in your fridge! Try different varieties and get creative with your combos!
This quick to cook egg breakfast is simple to make, requires few ingredients, and will help fuel your day. The avocado is loaded with fiber and the sprouts add a nice crunch! Plus, who doesn’t love eating green foods? Like it spicy? Add hot sauce for some extra flavor!
- 1/2 tsp butter
- 1 egg
- 3 slices of Cheddar Cheese
- 1/4 of an avocado, cubed
- 1 small handful of sprouts
- Melt butter in a frying pan
- Crack egg in frying pan and scramble
- Once firm, lay slices of cheese on top and cook over low heat until cheese is melted
- Serve on a plate or in a bowl and top with avocado and sprouts
For added fiber and to give your day an extra boost, serve with a Berry Smoothie!
A delicious vegetarian breakfast scramble is a great way to start off a weekend day that will be full of outdoor adventure like hiking, paddling, or skiing! Start off with some basic ingredients and then add in different vegetables depending on the season. The recipe below was made in the winter, but a summer version could be created using local fresh veggies from the farmer’s market or your own garden!
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tbsp low-fat milk
- 2 tsp butter
- 1/8 cup red onion (diced)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1/2 red or green pepper (diced)
- 4-5 baby bella mushrooms (diced)
- 1-2 handfulls chopped kale
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese (shredded or thinly sliced)
- 1 medium tomato (diced)
- 1/2 avocado (diced)
- Salt & Pepper
- Wash and chop all of the vegetables & cheese as indicated above.
- Melt 1 tsp of butter in a large frying pan and saute onion and garlic until light brown.
- Add in peppers and mushrooms and saute until soft.
- Add kale and saute until wilted. Meanwhile, crack eggs into a bowl, add milk and whisk with a fork until the yolks are broken.
- Melt remaining tsp of butter in pan and add the eggs. With a spatula or wooden spoon, mix in the eggs with the vegetables and cook until no longer runny.
- Add cheese to the pan, mix and cook for 1 minute more until cheese is melted.
- Serve into bowls or plates and top with fresh tomato and avocado.
- Season to taste with salt & pepper and enjoy!
- Add hot sauce to spice up the scramble!
- Get a serving of whole grains by serving a piece of whole wheat toast on the side.
- Create a Summer Scramble by using fresh spinach or basil, tomato and feta cheese for a refreshing tasting breakfast!