Whether you’re making a smoothie for breakfast, a midday snack, or an after dinner dessert, they are always a wonderful way to get some added fruit and dairy into your diet! Try using different combos of fruit, substitute yogurt for milk, or even add in kale!
This quick to cook egg breakfast is simple to make, requires few ingredients, and will help fuel your day. The avocado is loaded with fiber and the sprouts add a nice crunch! Plus, who doesn’t love eating green foods? Like it spicy? Add hot sauce for some extra flavor!
- 1/2 tsp butter
- 1 egg
- 3 slices of Cheddar Cheese
- 1/4 of an avocado, cubed
- 1 small handful of sprouts
- Melt butter in a frying pan
- Crack egg in frying pan and scramble
- Once firm, lay slices of cheese on top and cook over low heat until cheese is melted
- Serve on a plate or in a bowl and top with avocado and sprouts
For added fiber and to give your day an extra boost, serve with a Berry Smoothie!
A delicious vegetarian breakfast scramble is a great way to start off a weekend day that will be full of outdoor adventure like hiking, paddling, or skiing! Start off with some basic ingredients and then add in different vegetables depending on the season. The recipe below was made in the winter, but a summer version could be created using local fresh veggies from the farmer’s market or your own garden!
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tbsp low-fat milk
- 2 tsp butter
- 1/8 cup red onion (diced)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1/2 red or green pepper (diced)
- 4-5 baby bella mushrooms (diced)
- 1-2 handfulls chopped kale
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese (shredded or thinly sliced)
- 1 medium tomato (diced)
- 1/2 avocado (diced)
- Salt & Pepper
- Wash and chop all of the vegetables & cheese as indicated above.
- Melt 1 tsp of butter in a large frying pan and saute onion and garlic until light brown.
- Add in peppers and mushrooms and saute until soft.
- Add kale and saute until wilted. Meanwhile, crack eggs into a bowl, add milk and whisk with a fork until the yolks are broken.
- Melt remaining tsp of butter in pan and add the eggs. With a spatula or wooden spoon, mix in the eggs with the vegetables and cook until no longer runny.
- Add cheese to the pan, mix and cook for 1 minute more until cheese is melted.
- Serve into bowls or plates and top with fresh tomato and avocado.
- Season to taste with salt & pepper and enjoy!
- Add hot sauce to spice up the scramble!
- Get a serving of whole grains by serving a piece of whole wheat toast on the side.
- Create a Summer Scramble by using fresh spinach or basil, tomato and feta cheese for a refreshing tasting breakfast!
This brilliant breakfast recipe is taken from Leanne Brown’s Good and Cheap. By using rolled oats and 100% Apple Juice or Apple Cider, you avoid many of the sugars that you would typically get in a sweetened oatmeal, while still getting a delicious and sweet tasting breakfast! Plus, it will only cost you $1 per serving!
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 cups apple juice or cider
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 apple, cored & chopped
In a small pot, add the oats, juice or cider, and salt. Place it on medium-high heat, just until it comes to a boil. Immediately turn the heat down to low and place a lid on the pot. Cook for 5 minutes, until the oats are soft and tender. Top with an apple, or if you want the apple to be soft and warm, cook it along with the oats!
Summer is a great time of year to take advantage of fresh local veggies. This open faced sandwich is quick and easy to make and tastes delicious! Plus it is full of lots of important ingredients to get you ready for an active day spent outside!
- 1 bagel (you pick the variety, but everything, sesame, plain, or whole wheat all make good choices)
- 1/4 ball of fresh mozzarella cheese
- 8 basil leaves
- 1/4 of a large ripe tomato (or 1/2 of a small tomato)
- Salt and pepper
- Slice the bagel in half and toast
- Meanwhile, thinly slice the mozzarella cheese, wash the tomato and basil, and slice the tomato
- When the bagel is ready, assemble the ingredients on each half
- Lightly add salt and pepper
This is a great easy snack that you can make quickly. You can also mix up the ingredients by adding different fruits or different flavors of yogurt to add variety!
- 1 cup of chopped apples
- a cup of sliced strawberries
- 1 sliced banana
- 1 cup of lowfat or nonfat vanilla yogurt
- 1 cup of granola
- 1/2 cup of raisins
- Use a clear glass and begin by making a layer of one of the fruits
- Add a layer of a 2nd fruit
- Add a layer of yogurt
- Add a layer of granola
- Add a layer of your 3rd fruit
- Top with raisins
Or… be creative and layer your parfait however you’d like!