This delicious fall snack adds plenty of fiber and protein to your day and will give you lots of energy! Have your kids participate in the preparation by helping to spread on the peanut butter or sprinkle the granola!
- 2 small apples, cored and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch thick rings
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice (optional)
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter or almond butter
- 3 tablespoons granola
Slice the apples across and use a small knife or cookie cutter to remove the core. If you won’t be eating right away, brush the apples slices with lemon juice to keep them from turning brown.
On one half of apple slices spread the peanut butter or almond butter. Sprinkle on the granola and then place a second apple ring on top to form a sandwich!
This is a great easy snack that you can make quickly. You can also mix up the ingredients by adding different fruits or different flavors of yogurt to add variety!
- 1 cup of chopped apples
- a cup of sliced strawberries
- 1 sliced banana
- 1 cup of lowfat or nonfat vanilla yogurt
- 1 cup of granola
- 1/2 cup of raisins
- Use a clear glass and begin by making a layer of one of the fruits
- Add a layer of a 2nd fruit
- Add a layer of yogurt
- Add a layer of granola
- Add a layer of your 3rd fruit
- Top with raisins
Or… be creative and layer your parfait however you’d like!
Smoothies make a great addition to a breakfast or can be eaten as a healthy snack on a hot summer’s day! Make a big pitcher of this smoothie to share around with the whole family or keep some on hand in the fridge.
- 2 cups of apple or orange juice
- 1 cup low fat or non-fat vanilla yogurt
- 2 small (or 1 large) ripe banana
- 1 cup of berries (you choose the type!) fresh or frozen
- Place all ingredients in a blender
- Blend for at least 20 seconds or until the mixture is smooth